top of page

Arrival in Australia

After you arrive in Australia

After you have arrived in Australia:

  • Contact your family and friends back home to let them know you've arrived safely in Australia.

  • Purchase and activate an Australian sim card for your mobile

  • Set up an Australian bank account

  • Update your contact details with HELI

  • Start to explore and get to know Melbourne

  • Apply for your Unique Student Identifier (USI)

  • Apply for a Tax File Number if you are planning on working during your studies

  • Attend your Orientation 3 - 7 June 2024

  • Commence your studies the week beginning 10 June 2024

Opening an Australian Bank Account

Opening a bank account in Australia means that your money is easily accessible, and you can avoid the expense of international banking fees. You'll need an Australian bank account if you plan to work in Australia. 

Finding the best bank and account that suits you will involve a little research. Australia has four big banks; Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, NAB and ANZ which are commonly referred to as the "Big Four", however there many other banks and credit unions that you can choose from.

Most banks require you to be onshore and have an Australian residential address before you can apply to open a bank account, others may allow you to open an account in advance of your arrival to Australia. is a website that compares financial products in including bank accounts, and they provide some information for international students that may assist in choosing the right bank and account type.   

Update your Contact Details

Updating your contact details with HELI

Please check and update your contact telephone number/s and emergency contact details via your Student Portal. Even if you are living in temporary accommodation following your arrival in Australia you must update your contact information. Student visa holders MUST notify the Institute of residential address within 7 days of arriving in Australia (​visa condition 8533).

Explore and get to know Melbourne

Now that you have arrived, it's time to explore your new home. Study Melbourne is a Victorian Government initiative for international students living and studying and Melbourne. They offer a year-round program of free events and confidential support services provided by the Study Melbourne Hub. The Study Melbourne Hub is located on Hardware Lane which is a short walk from campus.  Click on the below button to see their Experience Melbourne and Victoria webpage.

Unique Student Identifier (USI)

Students studying in Australia need to have a Unique Student Identifier number or USI. All higher education students, including international students studying in Australia, must have a USI to graduate and receive their award. Your USI is your individual Australian education identification number for life. You need a USI if you are:

  • an International student who is onshore in Australia and has a valid visa

  • a new or continuing domestic student

  • a student who has completed their studies and will graduate from 2023 

The process of applying is simple, the online tutorial video which is available here overviews the process. For further information about USI's please click here. Please apply for your USI using the link below.

Tip for students who have a single name: when you apply for your USI, insert a dash (-) in the first name field and enter your name in the last name field.

Once you have received your USI, you need to record the number in your Student Portal.

Applying for an Australian Tax File Number and Tax Returns

Tax File Number

If you are planning on working during your stay in Australia, you need to have an Australian Tax File Number. Taxes are managed through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The tax you pay depends on how much you earn.

A tax file number (TFN) is your unique reference number to our tax system.  When you start work, your employer will ask you to complete a tax file number declaration form. If you do not provide a TFN your employment will be taxed at the highest personal income tax rate, which will mean less money in your wages.

You can apply for your TFN online via the ATO website. 

Taxation Returns

If you pay too much tax you are entitled to a refund.  To get a refund you will need to lodge a tax return.  You can lodge online using e-tax (free), by mailing a paper tax return, or by paying a registered tax agent to complete and lodge the return for you. Tax returns are lodged at the end of the Australian financial/tax year (1 July to 30 June).

How to contact your Student Services Team

Student Services contact information is available by selecting Student Services from the Student Support menu of HELI's Student Hub. Contact details are also included within email communications.  

Attend Orientation

Orientation is scheduled: Monday 3 - Friday 7 June 2024

HELI’s Orientation week is the week before classes commence. Orientation is an opportunity for you to learn about your requirements as a student, the support services HELI provides, and to connect with your Educators and classmates. Orientation provides all the information you need to prepare to commence your HELI course! Further information will be sent to you in advance of HELI's Orientation Week.

Classes Commence



Classes Commence from Tuesday 11 June 2024

Please note that Monday 10 June 2024 is a Public Holiday and HELI will be closed. Classes commence from Tuesday 11 June 2024.

Classes scheduled on a Monday will commence from 17 June 2024.

bottom of page